IFMIF-DONES is a key strategic scientific facility to research and develop the materials with which future fusion reactors will be built. It is included in the European Research Roadmap to the Realisation of Fusion Energy and classified as a project since 2018 in the ESFRI Roadmap. The IFMIF-DONES project aims to characterise the behaviour of hundreds of materials under intense neutron irradiation with an energy spectrum centred on 14 MeV, typical of fusion reactions. This project will provide the necessary information for the design and construction of future commercial reactors.
The main lines of action defined by the University of Granada together with CIEMAT are as follows:
- IFMIF-DONES Technical Office: made up of eight people with engineering training and two management technicians to efficiently carry out the technical and administrative tasks related to the implementation of IFMIF-DONES.
- Hiring of consultancy and assistance services: hiring of various types of services to support and complement some aspects of the work necessary to develop the project.
- Prototypes of DONES components: to verify the feasibility and correct operation of some of the more complex designs foreseen for DONES, the design of three prototypes have been planned: STUMM, MUVACAS and QDS.
- The Virtual reAlity Lab for sciEntific and industRIal fAcilities (VALERIA lab): with the objective of creating virtual reality simulators of maintenance and replacement operations with remote manipulation in the DONES environment.
- Laboratory for the development of control systems for LIPAc/DONES: with the aim of carrying out the simulation of operation tasks from the accelerator control room, necessary to be able to operate the facility correctly.
- IFMIF-DONES – UGR Research Centre: conceived as a space in which to carry out research of excellence in the field of the project, it will enable the development of scientific and technological activities that allow the optimisation of the exploitation and operation of the facility but which do not require continuous interaction with it. Likewise, this centre has been planned with the aim of bringing together research groups from different areas (Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Computer Science, etc.) that will develop research lines to allow the generation of knowledge and optimise the possibilities of using the accelerator infrastructure.
- Site preparation: acquisition of plots adjacent to the main plot where the infrastructure will be located, for an area of approximately 35,000 m2 that will be used initially for temporary facilities, civil works, supply lines, fencing, buildings, foundations, service networks, etc. necessary during the construction phase that will last 8-10 years.
- IFMIF-DONES Research, Training and Mobility Programme: the aim is to train scientists and engineers who will work at the future facility. This training will take place in IFMIF-DONES implementation-related centres in Italy, Germany and Japan.
- Research Training Programme – UGR-CIEMAT Predoctoral Contracts: this pre-doctoral training programme within the scope of the IFMIF-DONES project finances the hiring of research trainees for the development of research lines related to the project. A public call has been launched for its implementation, after which thirteen people will be selected to begin their activity working on different research lines related to IFMIF-DONES.